Sunday, February 26, 2012

Tool # 2 - Building Community in the Online Environment

I can definitely see the value of personal learning networks. There is so much information available and so few hours to try to take it all in. Connecting with others who are interested in and work in the same areas streamlines access to information that applies to personal interests/concerns. Just as it takes a village to raise a child, it takes a community to build a safe environment for our students as they learn to navigate in the world of technology. I visited many blogs and was impressed with how comfortable people are with sharing their thoughts with the world community. I haven't really made any comments yet... I believe in making positive comments that add to the conversation...and to be truthful, while I have skimmed several blogs, I haven't read enough of the following comments to join a conversation yet. But I will. I set up a diigo account and love the feed. It brings me new things to explore everyday. And I set up Google Reader which will keep me abreast of the postings on blogs I really want to follow. One blog I really want to continue to follow is “A Year of Reading”( http://readingyear.blogspot.com/ ). These two reading teachers have a plethora of links to really good new reads for children/young adults/adults with good reviews and ideas of how to present new reading material. I'm always looking for new things to entice reluctant readers, so I'm sure I will follow them for quite some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment