Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Tool # 3 - Finding Online Video and Image Resources

     Because I teach students who are behind in skills and struggling to catch up, I often find that they do not have the background that will allow them to make connections to text that they read. Building those connections can be very difficult; however, YouTube and TeacherTube allow me to pull quick video clips that give my students at least a quick exposure to some of the concepts that they are reading about. 


     One clip that I pulled was of Nelson Mandela delivering his inaugural address.  We have been reading a short story dealing with the diamond trade in South Africa, which is set in the early 1990s, just before Mandela was elected. The next piece we will read is his inaugural address, and I think it would be informative for the students to hear him deliver the speech as they follow along with the text. 

                   


     Another video I pulled to help students make connections was Dr. Seuss's The Sneetches. It allowed my students to connect botht the images and the theme of a long-time favorite children's book to the serious topic of racism and apartheid.

                  

     Copyright laws are something that I have always been careful of, and it's nice to know that as long as it is being published in a protected educational environment, it is okay to use materials. I love the Fair Use video...adding value or re-purposing material is a good way for students to learn how to access material and then manipulate it in a way that allows its use. I think my students will need help learning to distinguish how to re-purpose or add value to materials... they are still struggling with why they have to give credit when they use someone else's words in their writing. Quoting is not their strong suit. :)

     As for Dropbox, I do have an account but am not quite sure yet how that will come into play yet. My students are, for the most part, not very technology savvy yet, and I think I will be moving rather slowly with some of this to move them safely into the use of technology.






No comments:

Post a Comment