Sunday, March 18, 2012

Tool # 7 - Reaching Outside Your Classroom: Online Digital Projects

I'm not certain what a flat classroom would look like for a Resource setting. Right now, I think asynchronous collaboration is probably going to be the first step. My students, by the nature of where their skill sets are, are not collaborators. It is still outside many of their comfort zones to contribute to a poster or a story board or, for that matter, a discussion. By fall, I hope to have the students blogging through Blogger in a class blog about books they are reading. And I want to get my students to a point where they will perform peer edits for fellow students through the use of Google Docs. As for joining to other classrooms, since I teach Basic Reading and Basic English, I need more information about the legalities regarding disclosure. Information about my students is only released on a need-to-know basis, but for some of them, their skill level is such that it is obvious that they are a special needs learner. I need to do more research and communicate with some other Special Ed teachers before I will be comfortable connecting outside of my student group. That being said, I would like to get in on some Skype author talks next year with some of the authors that are popular in my classroom, and I will look more into that during the summer. I'm all for collaboration... it will just take a bit more planning and consideration to make sure that I am not violating my students' privacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment